The Lagos State Judicial Panel of Inquiry on Restitution for Victims of SARS Related Abuses and other matters has said at least nine persons were confirmed dead at the Lekki toll gate when Soldiers on October 20, 2020, were present to disperse peaceful protesters.
On the night of October 20, last year Soldiers stormed Lekki toll gate when mainly Nigerian youths took to the street to protest against a Government Special Anti Robbery Squad #EndSARS protesters and were alleged to have shot at the Protesters.
Yesterday, the panel submitted its report to the state government where Justice Doris Okuwobi-led panel disclosed that at least 48 protesters were either shot dead, injured with bullet wounds or assaulted by soldiers.
The report indicated that nine protesters were confirmed dead, while four were presumed dead.
Last year the Nigerian Army denied its presence at the toll gate at first. But after much video evidence on social media, the Army then agreed to be present but said Its members didn’t shoot at protesters.
Meanwhile, during proceedings of the panel, there were a series of evidence that bullets belonging to the Nigerian Army were seen on the scene of the protest ground.
There was also a comprehensive report by the BBC that claimed that Soldiers shot at the Lekki toll gate.
According to the report, the cable network said it has strong evidence to support the claim that Soldiers did shoot at protesters.
Now, the Lagos Judicial panel have now confirmed the death of some persons from the incident and many others with reports of gunshot Injuries.
Leave a Reply